With January's online self-assessment deadline fast approaching, HMRC has put together a programme of webinars to help self-employed people manage their tax reporting obligations.
Leading up to the self-assessment deadline on 31 January, HMRC is running a series of events - including live sessions with advisers - to help people manage their record-keeping and complete their online self-assessment tax returns for 2016/2017.
The free webinars include:
- How to complete your online tax return, covering everything from filling in the form online to viewing tax calculations.
- Business expenses for the self-employed, with guidance on allowable expenses, including those covering working from home.
- Car expenses for the self-employed, including how to claim motoring expenses using the actual costs or flat rate method and when to claim capital allowances.
- Record-keeping for the self-employed, including how to set up a records system.
- Self-employed - your payments to HMRC, covering all aspects of income tax and NICs, including what happens when someone is employed and self-employed at the same time.
- Self-employment help and support, a webinar aimed at sole traders and self-employed partnerships.
- Self-assessment help and support, a webinar covering general questions about your tax return and business expenses for the self-employed.
There are also video resources on HMRC's YouTube channel.